IUPUI's finest teachers, researchers, mentors and students from 2020 and 2021 were recognized virtually at the annual Chancellor's Academic Honors Convocation
The convocation is a celebration of the outstanding achievements by IUPUI faculty, staff and students across all areas of IUPUI's mission: excellence in teaching and learning; excellence in research, scholarship and creative activity; excellence in civic engagement; and excellence in diversity, collaboration and best practices.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, last year's event was also virtual but focused specifically on IUPUI's Chancellor's Scholars, the most outstanding students as selected by each school.
In his remarks, Paydar congratulated all honorees, speaking of the courage and resiliency the IUPUI community has displayed over the past year.
"As faculty members, you have continued to conduct lifesaving, world-changing as well as community-engaged research," he said. "You have created new art and literature. And of course, you have played critical roles in educating the next generation.
"As staff members, you supported our students and colleagues with determination and stamina. As students, you have continued your studies while shouldering enormous personal burdens.
"Together we will come out of this stronger, better and more committed to this campus, to each other and to the world more broadly."
Gabriel Filippelli, a professor in the School of Science, and Julie Goodspeed-Chadwick, a professor in the IUPUC Division of Liberal Arts, were named Chancellor's Professors, the most distinguished appointment a faculty member can receive at IUPUI.
In addition, Distinguished Professor Emeritus Anantha Shekhar, founding director of Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, and Stephen Hundley, professor of organizational leadership in the School of Engineering and Technology and senior advisor to the chancellor, were honored with the Gerald L. Bepko Outstanding Administrator Award for their exemplary leadership.
Contributions by campus mentors to strengthen IUPUI's academic reputation were also recognized:
- Alvin S. Bynum Award for Excellence in Academic Mentoring for faculty: Peter Schubert, professor, School of Engineering and Technology.
- Alvin S. Bynum Award for Excellence in Academic Mentoring for staff: Tabitha Hardy, assistant dean, Graduate Office.
Other awards focusing on teaching and their recipients were:
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching: Elizabeth Goering, professor, School of Liberal Arts.
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Multicultural Teaching: Ivette Cruz, student services coordinator, School of Social Work.
- Chancellor's Diversity Scholar Award: Chalmer Thompson, associate professor, School of Education.
Awards honoring research work and their recipients were:
- Glenn W. Irwin Jr., M.D., Research Scholar Award: Michelle Salyers, professor, School of Science.
Awards presented to recognize contributions in civic engagement were:
- Chancellor's Faculty Award for Excellence in Civic Engagement: Kathleen Stanton-Nichols, associate professor, School of Health & Human Sciences.
- Chancellor's Community Award for Excellence in Civic Engagement: Jackie Nytes, CEO, Indianapolis Public Library.
- Glenn W. Irwin Jr., M.D., Experience Excellence Award, -- 2020: Bruce Long, associate professor emeritus, School of Medicine; 2021: Keith Anliker, senior lecturer, School of Science, and Deborah Stiffler, associate professor, School of Nursing.
These award categories honor students:
- Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research: Grace Mattingly, School of Science.
- Sherry Queener Graduate Student Excellence Award: Alisha Beard, School of Liberal Arts, and Alyson Keen, School of Nursing.
- Chancellor's Scholars: Awarded to 22 students.